Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cure the fear of making mistakes

I have heard so many times the expression: 'I am very stupid.I cannot learn anything.I make only mistakes'.
Making mistakes is discouraging at first because they are many. And they should be like this. it is quite impossible to learn everything and never make mistakes,especially in the first stage of the learning process.
People are terrified about making mistakes because they were told mistakes are bad and they should be avoided.
In language learning mistakes are a fountain of knowledge. You need to experiment with language and sometimes you make mistakes.
The thing we need to learn about mistakes is that there is a lesson behind every mistake. Every time we say something wrong for example: 'I can to speak' we get corrected.
The right thing to do would be to learn the rule and apply it next time.
But many people repeat the mistake 2,3,10 times until they learn the rule.
If this is your case you need to be patient with yourself and not expect too much. Allow yourself the necessary time to get used to the new structures.
Tip: When I was learning English for the first time I used to write down the mistakes I made more than 2-3 times and the correct rule so that I could check it from time to time and see if I have learnt the rule

No comments:

Post a Comment