Sunday, January 12, 2014

'I know English but I cannot speak!'

Everyone is trying to learn or improve their English but sometimes we are not honest about our quest. We hesitate to start because it seems a too serious mission for us.We prefer instead going to the cinema and watch a movie and from time to time have a quick look at our iphone to see the translation of the unknown words.
We check stories and articles on Facebook and we get the general message but for some mysterious reason we cannot get engaged in a conversation with our English friends.
The typical reaction after such a failed attempt is :
"I know the words (their meaning was so clear when I read the article) and now when I put them together I speak like Tarzan's mother. And what's most I have learnt English all my life, I know English!!!!!!"

What students do not know is that :
1. If you have learnt English some time ago but you don't take the time to revise it from time to time it gets lost. Why? Because our mind works like that: new information tends to gradually replace old one. In order to keep it fresh you need to practice on a regular basis.
2. Many have the impression they know English but they cannot speak it or write it. Why? Well, learning a language involves developing several skills: speaking, listening, writing,reading. During the learning process all of them have to evolve. If for example you only watch movies you'll improve your listening skills or if you just read all day long you'll be able to understand written messages. If you want to speak-you definitely need to practise your speaking skills. The reading or writing will not replace your speaking ability.

1 comment: